Pages

Translate

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

First sight of Devonshire Bay

Considering that Bermuda is so small, it is amazing how many places I have not set eyes on in the years I have been here.  Bermuda is a maze of roads and one never really knows what they might find until they decide to go down one and criss-cross  through all the nooks and crannies in search of a new vista.  I doubt I will have seen them all before I go.

Last week I got an offer to visit my coworker Sue and take some pictures while she was house sitting at Devonshire Bay.  House sitting is quite common in Bermuda -- people with pets normally have someone come to their house and stay there full time while they are away, rather than just dropping in to feed the pets.  It works so well because the animals get the companionship they need, the house is not noticeably vacant, and normally the house sitter is trading up for the week.  The price of rent and real estate in Bermuda is very high, so most of us who have not been granted residency on the island will jump at the chance to stay in a full size home for a week or two and happily leave our apartments behind.  It is also a good way to be able to accommodate guests -- if you have a house sit you can offer friends your place, or the spare bedrooms at the house sit.  I have not so lucky, no one has ever offered to have me and my small herd of cats come and hang out with their pets.  Plus Lexi is not known to be a good playmate for anyone other than me and JJ.  My response was, I have never been to Devonshire Bay, of course I will stop by!

And so on the designated day, I drove about 3 minutes from work and turned down the road called Devonshire Bay Road and voila, there it was.  On the south shore, with calm and gentle waters lapping against the boats and sands, no big waves.

Devonshire Bay

Sue had turned her house sit into Santa's little workshop, and I dare not divulge any details in case of ruining any secrets, but she was building treasures of tradition which was really neat to see.  Sue is Bermudian, and one of those really neat people you meet in life...a fellow microbiologist, who lives on a boat and has sailed all the way to the Antarctic, and was attempting to go round the world but was sidetracked back to work by a broken mast...I always get her travels mixed up...but i think she sailed to Batoga once.  It's not every day you meet someone with this set of cool experiences.  My claim to fame by association is that my trusty Canadian winter down jacket from Mark's Work Wearhouse accompanied her to the Antarctic and met a penguin or two along the way.  My jacket has officially had adventures I am left to envy.

After a quick chat I continued along the path looking for areas to explore.  I noticed a hill to the right of the bay and went to see what was there.  I found another tiny national park, the Devonshire Bay Battery.

Site marker

The site was one of Bermuda's old forts (each parish had at least one armed fort).  Established in 1616 it was used 300 years later during World War I.  Looking into the history I come only one interesting fact.  Devonshire, one of the 9 parishes of Bermuda, is named after William Cavendish, the 1st Earl of Devonshire who lived in the 1500's.  My current residence is in Devonshire, near Cavendish Heights.  As for the history of this fort, it is another part of Bermuda that is lost to the internet's pool of information.  This sign says more than any google search I tried.  Bermuda was originally fortified by the English to fend of the Spanish should they return, and later the French and the Americans were perceived as threats.  The area shows trenching below the hill and boasts a fabulous view of the sea.  That is all that I was able to learn.

I decided to poke my head along the trails on the site, and peek through trees wherever I saw the hint of a footpath, and as always, the greatest treasures are found that way.

Around the corner and through some trees

Peeking though the trees I saw a beautiful glimmer of standing water on the rocky shore.  Well worth the few paces it took to get there.  I spent a few minutes enjoying the view and enjoying the Bermuda fall sun and its early sunset before making the very quick jaunt back home for the evening.  Thanks for letting me know this view existed Sue!

Off the beaten track at Devonshire Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment