Pages

Translate

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year's Eve!!


Happy New Year's Eve everybody!

I am not going to be able to report the goings on of Bermuda this evening.  It is 32 minutes to the New Year, and after work, making supper, doing an exercise video, and skyping with family -- I am still in yoga pants and my hair isn't dry from the shower yet.  So a quiet New Year's Eve with my furry friends and some reflection is in order.  In fact, that champagne picture was actually taken Christmas Day...but I thought it would be a nice touch.

There are many happenings around the island tonight.  Bars and restaurants will be packed, some sold out for weeks, and of course there will be fireworks at a few places, like Elbow Beach and over the Hamilton Harbour.  Presumably they will do the Onion Drop again as well, and have the streets of Hamilton fenced off from traffic to allow pedestrians to congregate for the Drop.  You may be wondering what an onion drop is.  Well, it's a lot like the Ball Drop in NYC...except that instead of a round glowing orb, it's an onion shaped glowing orb...and the pole is probably only 20 or 30 feet high and erected in town for the evening.  That still doesn't explain why an onion.  Well, historically Bermuda was famous for onion exports, one of the few crops or exportable items ever to come out of Bermuda...so the onion is a bit of an unofficial national symbol.  This is why you will encounter stores like "Onion Jack's" and hear of sports teams like the "Bermuda Onions."  There is also likely a band, and there will also be live music at the Hog Penny and, of course, at The Pickled Onion nightclub.

I am ready to say goodbye to 2013 and welcome 2014.  I expect it to be an exciting year as I begin my last 6 months of work on the island, and then a return to Canada.  This evening my sister asked what exactly my plan was.  I confessed I don't really have a concrete plan.  8 months in advance is a little too far away to start securing the next job.  And I really wouldn't mind taking some time off and checking some items off the bucket list.  I guess I might finish off 2014 being just and lost but loving it as I am now.

I am not one for New Year's Resolutions.  I normally skip the tradition entirely, with the exception of the one year where I told my coworker Andrea in Edmonton that my brilliant plan for New Year's resolutions would be to do any one of the following very simple good-for-me things every day -- just one off the list -- I could either exercise, remember to use moisturizer, or just eat a damn vegetable that day.  Turns out that was the year I got into a better skin care regime.  A few days ago I was talking to my friend Geraldine and mentioned that I had started back into the workout DVD's that week -- the video set that we all love to hate, Shawn T's insanity.  I have tried it 4 times and never finished the whole 60 day program.  Last time I think I tore an abdominal muscle around day 5.  Geraldine vowed to successfully complete it at least one time in 2014.  I thought that might be a good New Year's resolution to attempt.  Other than that, I still need to work on the vegetable thing.  I need to continue with the mantras that I mentioned a few days before Christmas --  "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can do only little.  Do what you can, " and "It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay -- small acts of kindness and love."  I will continue to volunteer, to donate to causes that I see results from like the Bermuda SPCA, The Bill Foundation and Hope for Paws.  I will put forth a smile to those who need it.  I will seek out new places and adventures in the later part of 2014, and not be afraid of taking a break from work for the first time in 22 years.  2013 had too many final goodbyes...I will remember the smiles and kindnesses of each of you who have gone, tomorrow, in 2014, and many years beyond.  And so all year long I will wish and pray that my friends and family are safe and healthy, that their dreams come true, and they find themselves in successful careers, loving relationships, and feeling happy and content.

With that, I raise my glass to each of you -- and begin the 10 minute countdown.  All the best in 2014 to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment