Pages

Translate

Monday, April 7, 2014

Postcards from the Edge

"Postcards from the Edge" was a movie from 1990, based on a semi-autobiographical novel by Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia in Star Wars for you young-uns) that she wrote in 1987.  Today's blog has absolutely nothing in common with that information, except that it popped into my head as a cool name for today's blog.

Taken from Watch Hill (which my bad vision saw as Witch Hill...which didn't make much sense)
Another day off, another day with no excuse to not blog.  I had lots of good chats with friends from abroad today before throwing myself out the door to hop on the scooter and take my first pictures of April.  The camera has been idle as of late, much like its owner.  It wasn't overly warm, and I only had an hour or so before I was due to do other tasks, so I decided to just head down South Shore road and snap photos things I had missed along the way on my last photography day.  There was no real theme...the photos aren't particularly arty, but I thought they would make good postcards...from the edge of this rock in the Atlantic.  And so you have it, today's postcards from the edge.


To start with I stopped at St. Mark's Church and had a nice little chat with some brave tourists on a scooter, map in hand, saying "I don't think this is the Church."  One can always tell the tourists, for aside from the map in hand, rental scooters have a logo on the side, a white and red license plate to remind the locals to give them a break and a wide berth, plus the bucket style helmet also with a logo.  "Which church are you looking for?" I offered.  "I don't know, it was shown on the cruise ship TV and it's old."  "Well, there are over 300 on the island, but you are probably looking for one of the following 3..."  I plotted out a route for them with the churches and forts and best scenic spots for them for their day and saw them scoot off on their Bermuda adventure.  I stayed behind to take a few more pictures of the interesting stonework of the Church...and some cool Bermuda vines that make their way over or through pretty much anything.



This is how things grow in Bermuda
The entry way was welcoming.

One of the entrances to St. Mark's
The stone was smooth.
All of the stone looked smooth and...soft.  Neat look.
The flowers think it's spring.
Lots of flowers around the grounds, all quite pretty
I decided to scoot up the road a bit further to John Smith's Bay...a beach that is very popular in the summer, and one I have never photographed before.
John Smith's Bay
The water was choppy with all the wind, but the Bermuda blues were on full display and the colours are still stunningly beautiful to me, even after all these years.
A little area to the side of John Smith's Bay by the parking lot
These are the last postcards from the edge of my rock...for today at least.

Bermuda...the untouched areas are the most gorgeous

No comments:

Post a Comment