Pages

Translate

Monday, April 21, 2014

St. Patrick's Day!

I have really fallen behind with the blog, but I guess I will just keep plugging away at it until I get caught up.  There are a few events I did want to share, so I guess I will go ahead and do that even if they are now long past.

The first one I missed was St. Patrick's Day in March.  A few people said they really enjoyed reading about Flanagan's, the local watering hole.  Flanagan's, as the resident Irish pub in an expat community, celebrates St. Patrick's Day all weekend.  I laughed and said the only people I knew who were more excited about heading to the pub than my Irish friend, were my Scottish friends!  Pub culture is very well developed across the pond I have learned.

Flanagan's was laid out in green -- Robbie the bartender even died his mohawk green.  Gaelic signs were hung, celebrating "Erin," which means Ireland in Gaelic.  Green hats, green tiara's were handed out at the door.  It seems as though Green Beer, which s popular in Canada on St. Patrick's Day, was not as well known.  Flanagan's was serving it, but many had never seen it.

Green Beer and Green hats
The crew was out ready to celebrate Ireland!  George had his beer goggles on.


Siobhan was wearing the colors of her country.


Lizzie hails from England, and somehow even in a St. Paddy's Hat reminds me of the queen.


And MacGregor got a little more than he bargained for when he ordered a Guinness.


The band played Irish songs, the crowd was jumping, and Shibby and Joy managed to find space to dance a few reels and jigs in the corner (I am prohibited from releasing the video).

Albert and Joy representing for the Philippines
In the end, in just our little corner, we had Ireland, Scotland, England, South Africa, Canada, Bermuda, and the Philippines.  Quite a range of accents and expressions.  Quite sure I had added "Oi" to my vocabulary by the end of the night.

Last St. Paddy's in Bermuda.  Memorable indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment