Pages

Translate

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Around Town

As the days tick away, my life feels pretty busy, and Bermuda churns away with activity.  I always laugh when people say there is nothing to do in Bermuda, because I find it is the busiest little place if you have a little bit of diversity in your interests.  There is even a website, cleverly called "Nothing To Do in Bermuda" which lists every event, walk, lecture, historical re-enactment, movie, play, and even Weight Watchers and AA meetings.  If you are bored in Bermuda, it's self imposed.  When I started blogging about Bermuda back in October, a friend asked what I would do when I had covered it all...even then it appeared as most of the obvious spots were done.  Well...I am afraid I will run out of time before I run out of places to photograph and stories to tell, because there is always something going on.

Last weekend we went to "Summer in Europe," an evening of classical music put on by local musicians -- we have enough talent for a symphony and a concert pianist.  I saw one a local doctor double as a pretty impressive soprano soloist, friends on the violins, and pretty sure I spotted the hospital's head of quality and risk in the choir.  I sat across from my endocrinologist, with another microbiologist, a biochemist, and a pharmacist -- and waved to a former constable coworker across the room.  That's one thing I will always love about small places....the way the community in so entwined.  It was a really nice change of pace as well.

I always love the ship weather vane on top of City Hall
The symphony played at City Hall...which also has the annual Hasty Pudding, the Christmas Pantomime, occasional dance and ballet shows, musicals....and the Bermuda Music and Dramatical Society is just down the road with even more theatre for those that love to participate or sit back and enjoy a good play.

I also got the opportunity to take a little tour of the courthouse this week.  I must say it is a beautiful building, new, fresh, and great A/C.


This is where you go is you get caught tearing up the roads of Bermuda above the pace of 54 km per hour.  The speed limit is 35 kph.  Flow of traffic seems to be about 60 kph.  Unless you are a police car or bus, then you routine get to rocket by the rest of us.  According to the not very friendly police officer who jumped out of a bus stop and ticketed me, anything above 54 kph is a mandatory court date.  They do not show you the radar to show you your speed, they don't have to show you if you ask, and knowing how things work in Bermuda, the instrument is probably never calibrated properly, if at all....so, anything above 45 could in theory get you a tour of court as well.  You may get run over if you try to drive 35....which I have been making a conscious effort to do, and there have been some terrifying moments I must say.  Fear not, court is not as scary as it sounds.  You just stand up, plead guilty, get a hefty fine, and walk to the cashier.  Bring your wallet, because you get to choose to pay the fine or go to jail instead.  Yes.  A first time speeding offence under Bermuda law can cost you up to $500 or 30 days in jail.  That last part made me nervous until I realized it was your choice -- typically the fine is $215-$250 or 23 days in jail for a first offence.  Since I am blogging today, you know what I chose.

Also going on in Bermuda this week is a lot of activity surrounding the annual Newport to Bermuda Race.  Every year, there is a sailboat race from Newport Rhode Island to Bermuda.  The best finishes typically take about 5 days, and in some classes, the ships were separated by only 45 minutes, which is pretty tight considering it is 635 miles across open ocean powered only by the wind.  This is the 49th year of the event (book your calenders for next year, I am sure the 50th will be epic), and so the Yacht Club opened its doors to the public to come and see all the competing ships.  Their harbour was a busy place this week
A lot more masts than usual this week

OK, so I didn't get the best pics with my camera phone, but you get the idea
Local bands provided the entertainment, and it was a great set up for all of the competitors after a challenging race.  Live music, lots of socializing, and a lazy sunset in beautiful Bermuda.
Reflections of the flags on the masts on the water
Today takes us to the Annual Canada Day Beach Party.  It may not be Canada Day....but the closest Saturday to it there is always a beach bash put on by the Association of Canadians in Bermuda.  In fact, it is after noon, so it is already underway.  After Canada Day Night at the Hog Penny last night, I could be content at home....but maybe I will sneak out and get a picture of the event for the blog.  We shall see.  Yup.  There is never nothing to do in Bermuda.  Not ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment