Pages

Translate

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Remains of the Day

Most days off I set out on the scooter with the idea to take pictures in a certain location.  Often i finish up but still have a little more energy to go exploring, and just drive down a road or two to see what is there.  Sometimes that leads to a dead end, like this drive down Stokes Point Road.


But a dead end with a glorious view isn't such a bad thing.


In this case the concrete pillars are remains of the Bermuda Railway system.  The ones between Ferry Reach and Coney Island are popularly photographed....but these ones connected St. David's to the main island, and would today reach a quiet neighbourhood on the outskirts of St. George's.


There are a lot of great views in Bermuda, and I am happy that I took the time to let them soak into my memories and subconscious.  I have left Bermuda now, but was treated to a dream of the waves crashing against the rocks at Astwood Park last night.  I awoke to a message from a friend saying they had some bad weather and perhaps the island misses me.  I smiled to realize my dreams were in tune with the conditions at some of my favorite places.  Bermuda gets into your heart and soul in an instant, and stays there a lifetime.

Just across the main road from this dead end is a little nature preserve, I believe it was Stokes Point Nature Reserve.  I do mean little.  It was once a little pond, and back in the older days and less environmentally responsible days, people used ponds and marshes as a dumping ground.  This one was reclaimed, and sits solitary these days.

Little trail through the woods

Leading by one of Bermuda's colorful trees

A pretty pond, but it doesn't get a lot of attention in the middle of all the ocean views

No comments:

Post a Comment