Pages

Translate

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Last Bermuda Pictures

It was to be a Sunday that I would take my last pictures of Bermuda.  That wasn't what I expected since it would be a Thursday that I would depart....but that's when it turned out to be.  Fortunately that Sunday was a good day.  I went back to Castle Harbour that day with Captain Mark.


It turns out that Castle Harbour will be the place I remember as my favorite spot in Bermuda, with its expanse of calm crystal waters, sand dollars beneath your toes, longtails screeching above, and parrot fish nibbling rocks nearby.


I actually spent most of my time swimming after parrot fish, swimming back to the boat for refills, and lazing about in the sun and water.  But I did take a little time to go on land and take a few photos...mostly of longtails of course.















But what was really really special was hiking along a little used path, we all heard and audible "honk."  We all froze, and took very very careful footsteps, thankfully, because nestled on the path rather than a nest on the cliffside was this little fella here.

A baby longtail...ok technically a longtail chick

We were very careful not to touch or disturb, and Captain Mark said he would call a conservation officer that night and let them know about this little baby's location.  But after 6 years of chasing these birds up and down cliffs and coves for a good photo, it was the best thing I could imagine to spy a young one, healthily honking while the parents reeled nearby to attract us away from their chick.  I expect that to be the first and last time I see one of these in person, what a privilege!

The rest of the day was just watching the day go by.  There were several other boats in the water on this day.


Had a great view of Nonsuch and Cooper's Island.


And on the last Sunday evening scooter ride home I got to catch the sunlight fading over the Martello Tower at Ferry Reach.


Thank you Bermuda....it was quite the ride!  Stay tuned to see where we end up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment