Pages

Translate

Friday, October 3, 2014

The Face of Supper

The prairies.  Farmland.
 

Prairie Grasses abound in the spaces between road and crop.


And.  Sadly.  There are cows.  Lots of cows.  Why so sad?  I eat steak.  When people ask what is the traditional food where you are from, the only thing that comes to mind is steak and potatoes.  And there are ranchers in Saskatchewan.


But one day, many years ago, I was driving down a gravel road and there was a cow with its head looking out between the barbed wire fence.  It was close enough I looked into its face and its eyes, and cows became "real."  Now I still eat steak at a fancy restaurant, or when I am at the farm.  I am not vegetarian, or vegan in the least.  But...I started avoiding McDonald's and A&W for more than just reasons of health consciousness...that little face nags at me from time to time.  I started buying way more chicken and fish -- yes they too are living creatures, but I am trying not to make eye contact with them...the cow and I made eye contact and I can't change that.  I started ordering salmon in lieu of steak here or there.  There is a term "ethical eating," choosing products that you find conscionable.  Free range eggs, never foix gras, whatever you set your limits at.  For me, sometimes I look at tasty ribs on the menu and go for it, and other times I just see that little face.  Choosing to eat a little less beef doesn't make that big a difference -- no rancher will go out of business on my decrease, the ozone layer will not replete itself in my lifetime...but my carbon footprint gets a little smaller, my conscience a little lighter as I drive around Saskatchewan and see these critters everywhere.  Just wanted to share them...and let you think whatever you wish.








No comments:

Post a Comment