Pages

Translate

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Critter Cam

As mentioned, I finally bought a newer model of camera.  I only bought one lens, because that's as much as an unemployed girl can afford.  One thing about the camera is that it is full frame with a 36.3 megapixel sensor.  I was hoping to seriously amp up some of my photos.  I read somewhere that the non zoom lens would still produce a high quality image that could be cropped in on without losing detail.  And so, I set out to get some critters and see what kind of results I could get.

Critter 1 -- Hippie.  Close up with a 1.8/55 lens, I was pretty happy with the detail on this critter.



Critter 2 -- deer.  See the pretty doe?


And cropped.

 

Not bad.  Oh, did I mention she had a fawn?  That counts as Critter 3.
 

 
Then there was the owl checking in as Critter 4.  I learned a valuable lesson with the owl.  Owls don't sit still for photos, and you don't get a do over when your shutter speed isn't fast enough.  So this owl may look fuzzier than it did in real life. Who knew their feet looked like that?
 

 
Then there is Critter 5, Mystery Critter.  Not a mystery mystery, like sasquatch, just mean I am curious if you can pick the critter out in the uncropped shot.
 


It's a coyote for the record.


So overall there is definitely a lot better cropping ability with the new camera.  But limitations on the detail at a certain range, and it cannot fix a shaky hand or poor choice of setting.  A zoom lens is in my future once I stop flitting about taking pictures and get back to being employed.

But, since on the topic of critters, there are a few more to share, because Saskatchewan sure has an abundance of critters about.

Buffalo Bill and friends from the Wild West

Stinky, who thought he could be my new cat, because he doesn't know he isn't a cat
A whole herd of pronghorn
Who said Saskatchewan doesn't have a wild lifestyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment