Pages

Translate

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Snow Day

"Did you miss the snow?" a friend from Edmonton texted.  "No, I hate snow and cold," I texted back while only midway through the first coffee.  I looked at the outdoor temperature display...-7 C.  Snow was fun as a kid, and in your 20's even when you were out skiing and snowboarding.  In my 30's, I started feeling the cold more, and long days on the ski slopes felt a little less fun.

But, I had noticed some pretty miniature snowbanks on branches outside my window, so decided to brave it and take the camera outside.  Much to my surprise, I didn't need a jacket, a simple hoodie and sweats were more than warm enough.  It was calm and still out, what a difference it makes when the air is dry and there is not even a subtle breeze.  I wasn't sure if what I was seeing counts as hoarfrost, or just gentle snow accumulation, but this is what drew me outside, the tiny snow cystals on tree buds.


Once I was out there, I decided I might as well just enjoy the winter wonderland while the weather is cool and mild.  So I wandered around checking out the little stuff that we sometimes don't have the time, or take the time to do.  Like how the flecks of snow build on only one side of each branch,


Or how one leaf was just not willing to leave its home.  Actually the little branch looks reluctant to let it go as well, frozen in its lifeline grip to the little fellow.


These little shrubs are have more snow volume than branch volume.


There were lots of intricate and delicate formations to be found.

 
But I think this  blade of prairie grass was my favorite. 
 

Everywhere it looks as though life was snuffed out, overpowered and outnumbered by its tiny foe, the snowflake.  A war of the inanimates perhaps.


The larger trees seem to have escaped the fate of the smaller shrubs.


All of the leaves and grass turned yellow long before the snow came, but I loved the burst of life this bit of green moss gives to the winter scene.


Not all is still and frozen though.  Someone wandered these trees before I.  Maybe snow isn't as bad as I remembered after all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment