Pages

Translate

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Behind the Curve

There are a lot of jokes about Saskatchewan...things happening slowly and what not.  Change, and pretty much anything else, can't really sneak up on you in Saskatchewan...it's flat, you can see things coming for miles...and of course, most things are smart enough not to sneak up on presumably armed country folks.  And so things are rumoured to amble along in their own slow sweet time, and sometimes some things, say the latest fashion crazes, never arrive.  In fact, cable TV still hasn't made it here, and in some silent agreement between the population and satellite providers, it never will.  Fortunately we now have the small Bell ExpressVu Satellite, but, it still looks like we are prepared for alien communication on the old giant car sized dish mounted out behind the house from the 80's.  The joke is we can be a bit behind the times out here in the boonies.

However, as I woke this morning, I felt it more than ever.  Australia was already in a whole other year.  I saw two former Bermuda friends dressed in savvy suits under balloons and the glow of the impending new year over in Doha while I had my morning coffee.  Dublin and Glasgow friends have less than 3 hours to go, and while they raise bubbles of champagne, I will still be back in 2014 thinking about the proverbial last supper of 2014.  Even Bermuda is going to beat me across the 2014 finish line...and they are on ISLAND TIME for heaven's sake.

I am looking forward to 2015.  The symbolism of a barrier between the parts of 2014 that I did not like and the parts of the future I am looking forward to.  The idea that at the stroke of midnight I am closer to the start of the next adventure than to the end of the last one.  That the setbacks that have plagued me will somehow be trapped on the other side of the invisible divisor of 2014 and 2015, the red tape tying me down will unravel and I will bound happily off into future.  I remember feeling just like this in 2010...sitting on a patio looking out into the Atlantic in December waiting for the magic wand of the New Year to wave.  If I recall, January and February were spent on that same patio, with the same company, wondering why it was all still the same.  It did all turn around...in the spring.  Here's to a speedy wrap up things this time around.

Come on 2015...I am ready for you.  For the inevitable and invisible future, as John Green woefully stated through a character citing existential myopia.  And to my friends who are already on the other side waiting for me to get with the times -- be there soon, save me some of the good stuff!  Happy New Year everybody!

Just a random road to nowhere in Saskatchewan, meant of course to symbolize the path ahead, blah blah blah

No comments:

Post a Comment