Pages

Translate

Friday, February 20, 2015

Logistics of Moving to Alaska

When I decided to leave Bermuda, there were a few things I started looking forward to.  Mostly I wanted to be reunited with the concept of 'my own stuff.'  While it's great that most places are furnished in Bermuda, I also started thinking about how nice it would be to have a home surrounded by stuff that had been all my own choice.  There were a few things that I had painstakingly chosen and loved back in my Edmonton home that I believed I could be reunited with as well.  I chose a September start date so that I could drive to Alaska, sparing my cats the trauma of the security line at the airports, and also allowing me to pack a whole trunk of that coveted 'stuff' that I would find.  I would arrive in the summer, making for an easy drive, and slowly acclimatize before the first snow.  Bigger 'stuff' could always be shipped up in a moving van, and I would spend the winter cozily reading books by the fire in my mountain view home after work.

At least that's what I thought was going to happen back then.  If you have been following the blog, you will know what ACTUALLY happened was much different.  In September I found out that a VISA screen was required prior to my entry into the US, and this seemingly small hurdle would ambiguously loom over my plans for the next 4.5 months.  When it did finally go through, I had to abandon the idea of shipping my beloved "stuff" up in a moving van as the quote came in surprisingly high -- just under $15,000 for a one way transport of the meagre pile of "stuff" that I could call my own after 5 years in Bermuda and having to leave behind any "stuff" that didn't fit in my 2 suitcases.  I have to admit this was a bit of a blow to realize that I would be starting all over yet again with just a pile of things in a suitcase.  It's a perspective a lot of people have long ago forgotten about -- moving into a new place with just clothing, a few treasured tidbits, random things that you can stuff in suitcase pockets (I discovered a cheese grater in one pocket...one of very few things i could pack down when leaving my Bermuda kitchen behind).  You choose your space wisely, and spend a lot of time deciding if you want to arrive with the convenience of a bath towel, or stuff in 2 more pair of jeans and book it to the store before your first shower in your new home.  You arrive without plates, cutlery, mugs, coffee pots....dozens of little things you take for granted every day.  Getting set up again each time costs a small fortune.

Fortunately, my parents had a great little car they could give me a fabulous deal on, so I had a car all lined up.  I had a copy of "The MilePost" and from it I couldn't decide if it would be reasonable or not to drive to Alaska in February.  It advised cautions, but also optimistically said it was a great time to avoid the high traffic of the Alaska Highway.  Red paragraphs about "winding roads through a limestone gorge, no guardrails" and the like caused a few furrowed eyebrows as I sketched out my plans, predicted my progress and researched kitty friendly hotels along the way.


I researched a couple of other options and found that it is possible to ship a car from Seattle to Anchorage on a container ship for around $1300-$1600 (check Wrightway Auto Carriers or Alaska Car Transport).  In my case however, I was going to have to cross a mountain range in February be it through southern British Columbia or Northern British Columbia.  It was going to either be 5 days in the car, or drive 2 days, fly one, and pick the car up off a ship after 5 days.  After a little discussion with my friend Monique who had offered to assist with kitty transport, it was decided to go for the adventure of driving.  I admit she was more excited than I was...possibly because I had been watching a series of road cams posted along the route for weeks.  One was frozen over and several showed what looked more like shovelled walks than highways.

As luck would have it, a massive blizzard hit the east coast while a high pressure system approached the west coast promising a short window of clear skies and unseasonably warm temperatures.  It was perfect timing.  But it was still a winter drive through Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, and Alaska.  As I began packing and making preparations, the ratio of emergency supplies to beloved "stuff" shifted unfavorably into stuff.  I got brand new winter tires, new brake pads, and an oil change.  The backseat would be packed with kitty carriers and their stuff.  The passenger seat would be occupied,  But I would have the trunk for my stuff.  Except for the space needed for a sleeping bag.  The tow rope and booster cables.  Snow pants, warm boots, gloves and hats.  Some food, flares, emergency candles.  There would be long stretches without cell service so a satellite phone was rented for the drive.  A small shovel in case digging out was required.  A jerry can for extra fuel in the remote areas.  An emergency heater that operates from propane in case we found ourselves alone in the car and without heat in -40C.  Aside from that, the rest of the trunk was free to pack my new start into.  Sadly that "rest of the trunk" was looking pretty small.  I tried to choose wisely.  I am a sentimental being...I chose one beloved photo album filled with drawings by my niece.  A coffee mug from my sister.  2 towels, 2 dishcloths that my mom sent to Bermuda once in a care package.  All of my Christmas presents including a mini speaker, a USB stick, shampoo and conditioner, a cat calendar from my nieces, a new sweater.  I sorted through dresses and shoes, and packed away many favorites with the hope to reclaim them again one day in the future.  I was ready to start the journey to Alaska.

1 comment: