Pages

Translate

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Disputed Political Career of Stubbs the Cat

Just when I wondered what I would write about when I have no new photos to share, some interesting Alaska facts roll right across my screen.  I get a lot of cat related posts on my facebook feed.  Somehow when people see cats, they immediately think hey I need to show this to my friend.  Ideally, I had hoped when people saw single handsome millionaires they would think of me.  But no, it's just the cat facebook posts I get.  Not that I'm complaining, I kinda like the cat posts.  And today, under 21 amazing facts about cats that landed on my Facebook wall, there was an interesting Alaska fact right under amazing fact 21.

Stubbs the cat, it says, has been the mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska for over 17 years.  Now this intrigues me.  Research was needed.  Here's the deal.

Stubbs the cat was born April 12, 1997.  It seems the cat, as only cats do, naturally rose to power early in life, and has been well known as the Mayor of Talkeetna since 1997.  At first it was unclear to me if this was democratic, or if the cat just assumed power as an enlightened despot, which seems more likely.  A little more digging turned up the appropriate history.  Stubbs overcame difficulties in earlier life thanks to his human parents who chose him from a box of free kittens despite his lack of a full tail (hence the name stubbs).  Fortune was on his side again just a few months later, when Stubbs was nominated for mayor as part of a write in campaign protesting the human candidates.  So it would seem Stubbs was accepted by acclimation rather than election, but he has reigned Talkeetna unchallenged for 17 years.  Here is a photo of Mayor Stubbs from his facebook page.


It has not always been easy for Mayor Stubbs.  While he receives thousands of letters, postcards, and tourists who come to Talkeetna just to meet the cat mayor, there have been detractors too.  Some dissident humans as well as the Alaska Dispatch News say that the cat is not a mayor, and that Talkeetna is classified as a historical district with 800+ residents and not technically a town so it cannot have a cat mayor.  Stubbs stoically marches around town conducting business as usual, refusing to dignify them with a response.  I think the cat gets my vote.

If the Alaska Dispatch News doesn't recognize Mayor Stubbs, they are the minority.  A quick google search shows that the attempted assassination of Mayor Stubbs in 2013 made CNN headline news


The article quotes residents who say the town is run really well.  Stubbs is recovering from his injuries, and at the age of 18, retired from local office just this spring.  I can only hope he runs for Governor next.

Update:  After 20 years of leadership, Mayor Stubbs passed away in Talkeetna July 24, 2017.  His passing was remarked upon by Time, CNN, People, and numerous media outlets.  RIP Mayor Stubbs.  Thank you for letting me pet the legend.




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete