Pages

Translate

Monday, August 17, 2015

The Last Limp Through the Woods

The weekend before knee surgery was gorgeous and sunny.  I decided to take one last limp through the woods because I knee the salmon were returning to the Eagle River Nature Center, and when they did, one of the main trails would close.  This usually happens each summer, around August, so I headed down to the Nature Center to try the Albert Loop Trail.  I stopped at a favorite roadside pullout on the way to get a snapshot of the river.


 Little did I know that this is also a favorite spot for bears!  I spotted a couple coming out of this spot on my next drive through!  Alaska is beautiful in the summer.  The classic photo always includes this beautiful purple flower, the fireweed.


Fireweed is a pioneer plant, it is usually the first to colonize areas burnt by fire.  But you will see it pretty well everywhere along the roadsides.  Fireweed is pretty and useful.  It can be used to make teas and honey, it is a good source of Vitamin C and A, and it was used to fight infection n native medicine by placing the stem against the wound to draw out infection.

The valley just beyond Eagle River
Once I got to the Eagle River Nature Center, I checked in to check and see if wildlife had been reported in the are.  Always a good idea, so that if a bear has been sighted frequently in an area you an choose your route based on your comfort level.  A momma grizzly and 2 cubs had been sighted the night before...at the registration building.  I wanted to try the Albert Loop trail, so asked if it was well travelled.  They said yes of course, it is their most popular trail after all.

I started down the common path which leads to the Iditarod Trail that I usually take.  I stopped at the viewing deck, which was abundantly lush compared to my last visit!


The vegetation seems to overtake some of the stream in the summer.  I always think this is the best view along the whole walk.


The Albert Loop Trail very quickly became a footpath through very thick, very tall vegetation.  I was glad I had asked if it was well travelled, because I could only see a few feet ahead and a few feet behind...any bear encouters would be an unpleasant surprise to us both.  So on I walked...and walked, and walked, not encountering a soul.  I stopped and listened carefully and heard not a sound in the woods.  I started trying to whistle, and clapping my hands every few steps, just to warn any bears in the area that I was coming through.  I figure it was a good two miles before I encountered another human, so much for the well traveled bit.  The part of the trail by the stream floods in the summer, so there was a bypass route.  I was quite happy to get on this bypass as the forest is taller here, meaning there are far less head high weeds and shrubs, so you can at least see a little ways ahead.  The path is also well defined.


After the bypass, the route runs by the river.  This was the path ahead.  Pretty quiet.


The quiet little stream.  No salmon yet.


This is still the path...it seems to be more a general suggestion to simply go forward in a general direction than a trail.


I came to a little sign directing me back to the main trails, and popped out by the River Yurt.  I had not heard of Yurts before Alaska, but yurt is a common word here.  It means something along the lines of temporary outbuilding.  There are yurt cabins, and apparently in Homer there are yurts for every purpose, even yoga yurts.


This is one of three yurts you can rent at the Nature Center for overnight camping.


There are a few volunteers who live at the Nature Center.  This is their backyard.  Very wild and beautiful.


Just before the Albert loop joins the Iditarod Trail, there is a salmon viewing deck.  It boasts another beautiful view.  The deadwood is such a stark bleak white against the vibrant green backdrop.


Well worth the short walk for this stunning view.


A couple sits just below the footbridge musing about sweet nothings.  With the reflections and the bridge, I thought this might be Eagle River's answer to Central Park.


I got back to the main trail to the parking lot just as the skies grayed over.  I was hoping my next trek would be easier, as arthroscopy was booked for the following Thursday.






No comments:

Post a Comment