Pages

Translate

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Almost Christmas!

Merry Christmas, Alaska Style!  We are just a few hours away from Christmas.  I have to say, I am quite smitten with Alaska, and my first Christmas here has not disappointed.  Here are the decorations from the local Nature Center where I usually do my summer walks.


On December 21st, they hosted their annual winter solstice event.  Reminiscent of the annual St. George's Christmas walk, I donned my mittens and toque and headed out to the nature center after dark....and checked out the ice lantern walk.


During the day, the community gets together and makes hundreds of ice lanterns.  They set them out at dusk and light them so that hundreds of tiny flames light the path through the forest at night.


They were beautiful!  There is something soulful about the whole experience.  I always light a candle on days when I am remembering special loved ones I have lost.  One in particular, Jaycena.  These beautiful candles, and Christmas, her favorite season, and the woods and the dark and the subtle smell of bonfire...well, it was just one of those moments I am grateful to experience, and one of those times where I feel a little closer to my spiritual side.


Each light and lantern is as unique in their cracked pattern as a snowflake.


Each one like a miniature lighthouse guiding us all through the dark.


Periodically along the path were "warming stations" in the snowy woods.  These logs were brilliant, and easily put out enough heat to warm your hands!


And at the end of the path?  A bunch of Alaskans, hanging out in the snow, in the woods, at a bonfire, under the winter sky.  So maybe this was a few days before Christmas....but I think i will adopt the tradition of the ice lanterns as part of my new traditions.  Merry Christmas everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment