Pages

Translate

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Knik River

When I head north from my house, it doesn't take long until I reach what locals call "The Valley."  This valley, is the Matunaska-Sustina Valley, lovingly known as "The Mat-Su" here.  The valley is formed between The Alaska Range, The Talkeetna Range, and the Chugach Range.  Three major rivers run through it, the Matunaska, the Sustina, and the Knik.  Today I found myself on the banks of the Knik.


The Knik is a relatively short river.  It begins at the base of the Knik Glacier and empties into the Cook Inlet by Anchorage, a mere 25 miles.  The Knik gets its name from the Inupiaq name, igniq, meaning fire.


The Glenn Highway crosses it once or twice.  You could follow the river to the town of Knik which was once an Alaska boomtown.


As for me, I found a place that might make for good aurora watching if the urge arises on a clear dark night in the not so distant future.


Even the vandalism is pretty here on the banks of the Knik.


No comments:

Post a Comment