Pages

Translate

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Just Another Day at the Races

It's been an awful long time since I posted a blog.  Fear not, it's not snow and winter  here in Alaska yet, but I have still to sort through all of the winter of 2016 pictures (let alone spring, summer, and fall), and so I find myself looking at a prelude of what is just likely around the corner in my world.

One of my favorite February activities in Alaska is the Iditarod.  This year I had to miss the ceremonial start of the Iditarod as I was out of town.  But I did get to see the World Dogsled Championships which came to Anchorage just a week before the Iditarod.  I love the dogsled races.  The dogs just seem to be the kookiest canines in the animal kingdom.  They are a blur of fur and paws, and to me it seems like they kind of like this crazy sport.


 Anchorage has been lacking in snow the last few years, so they have had to truck in enough to make a race track in the streets.  Here are two teams racing down fourth avenue.


These two goofballs look like they are having a blast leading the team on this adventure.


They kick up some pretty good speed.


Take a look at the musher's expression.  I think you have to be as crazy as the dogs to be a musher.


There's always one dog in every team who never seems to touch the ground.


I didn't realize the musher was in a superhero costume until just now when I was reviewing the pictures.  I am way to fascinated by the dogs to even notice the mushers usually.


 Now to be fair the mushers put in some momentum too.  This girl is "kicking it" with her dogs.


Each dog seems to have their own unique "racing form".


Someone in the front has a drool problem.


The funniest moment of the whole race though was this little short legged bulldog who has dreams of running the big race.  He got on the track and refused to leave.


Dream big little fella, dream big!


Yup.  Just another day at the races in Anchorage.

No comments:

Post a Comment