Pages

Translate

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

What to Get that Hard to Buy for Person

Everyone has someone on their list that is hard to buy for.  I am the Aunt/Sister/Daughter/Grandchild/Friend that lives somewhere far away and doesn't want to accumulate a lot of stuff in her temporary home (although it happens all the same).  Even when I lived closer I think I was hard to buy for, as my interests were always a little off the beaten path.  So what do you get for the person who is hard to buy for?  How about a little charity.  Here's the rationale.

Seeing Siobhan sitting on Santa's lap the other day reminded me that it has been a few years since I wrote out a wishlist for Christmas.  Gone are the years when I have whimsical desires of world peace (or becoming a rock star).  When I really thought about what I want for Christmas, I realized that the things I really want are a little closer to reality, and have a personal meaning.

I do of course wish for the good health and safety of my family and friends (both two and four legged as John R Smith eloquently posted yesterday on facebook).  I wish them all success in their endeavors, be it being a successful ringleader in the circus of their family, conquering a demon or two, advancing professionally, or building a dream (or a dream home in the land of rainforests like Jody Bevan).  These are not things that can be bought.  I have all the sparkly clothes I need, a cozy place to stay complete with an electric blanket (thank you Tonya Olson for last year's Christmas present), a fridge full of food, a job, 2 wheels (which is more than enough on an island), and have a life full of good people.  There is nothing else that I need.  So what is it that I want?  It became clear to me in 2 quotes of the week.  The first being from watching "The Hobbit" on TV, when Galdalf says "Samuran believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found.  I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay...small acts of kindness and love."  J.R. Tolkien was a wise man.  The second was on a facebook post, a picture put up by Boston's "Fund the Ferals" charity which said "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do little.  Do what you can" by Sydney Smith.  This is exactly what I want for Christmas -- small acts of kindness and love, and helping as much as you can even if it is only a drop in the bucket.  There is certainly a charity near and dear the hearts of each of us.  Mine is animals.  I support WWF, The Bill Foundation, Hope for Paws, and the Bermuda SPCA.  I see many others that I would like to -- Boston's Fund the Ferals, the Moose Jaw Humane Society, and SCARS in Edmonton look like they are doing good work.  So often I get great little gifts, and buy for others, coffee cards, book cards, itunes, and I do use and appreciate them.  But a $10 coffee card can feed a kitten in a shelter for a week.  The Bill Foundation and Hope For Paws ask people to give $5, on the principle that more will donate, and their rescue videos show that they are indeed saving a few animals from the street every week.

So...if you are doing last minute Christmas shopping today and running out of ideas, think about whether that last person on your list has a cause they care about.  Poverty, hunger, disaster relief, environmental protection, medical research -- the most thoughtful gift of all may be showing that you know their heart.

Just a thought.  Merry Christmas Eve morning to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment