Pages

Translate

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Scenic Ferry Reach

I guess I took a few more pictures than I thought while out at Ferry Reach, and I have to say I liked a higher percentage than usual.  A clear day and the colours and textures of Bermuda scenery are what inspires me.  Add into that the excursion gets me some sunshine, a walk, and a distraction to unwind from work and step away from the overflowing to-do-list, and taking scenic pictures of this beautiful island is a good hobby for me indeed.
The path to the forts under a canopy of green
There was a lot of gorgeous scenery at Ferry Reach, so will just share a few more with everyone today.
Reflections in a pool of standing water
From the forts one can see the remains of the Bermuda Railway line.  For many years, the only access between St. David's and St. George's was by boat, and eventually rail.  From Ferry Reach where I stand, the point across the ocean is called Coney Island, and one of Bermuda's many train stations was there.  Visitors to Bermuda can hike the railway trail, which follows the old rail line wherever possible.  A warning that in the places where it joins the road that there are no sidewalks, and traffic is tight.  You may find those portions hair raising...but there are plenty of miles in the pedestrian parts of the trail.
The old Railway remains going to Coney Island (yes Bermuda has one, but no amusement park there)
As we walked away from the Martello tower towards Burnt fort I looked back on the tower, and fell in love with this scene because of the old fort and the wild beauty.  To be fair, one of my coworkers yesterday also told me that my eyes light up when I talk about fungus and that I am kind of a sick freak, so my tastes may be questionable to some...but I maintain that Mycology is a dying art, but an art all the same...and that this picture is really cool.
Bermuda's Martello Tower and the remains of the rail at Ferry Reach
From the third and final fort I was lucky enough to catch a lone sailboat out for a joyride.
Carefree on still waters
The sailboat was kind enough to make a little turn and head over to the Martello tower to make my day complete.
The finale shot!
I was pretty satisfied with the day's adventure already, but there was still more to offer.  A little monarch butterfly fluttered nearby and posed for me for a moment, giving me some nice pictures to share tomorrow.  Siobhan and I ended the day by heading out to Rosewood Tucker's Point Hotel for lunch, aka Tucker's Point.  Tucker's Point is the most expensive hotel in town, so it was interesting just to see who the guests were.  At $700 a night, you have to make a lot of money to bring a couple of teenagers with you...but there were a few laying in loungers by the pool absorbed in their wifi connected tablets.  I wanted to 'unplug' them and give them a map and some tour tips...but...not my place.  We ordered a delicious burger and coffee...it was good and I got a whole pot of coffee with that while we had a nice leisurely catch up on the girl chat (most expensive burger and coffee yet on the island, but the extra was worth it to check out the ambiance of this hotel for the afternoon).  We got lost looking for the spa, but also took a tour there when someone guided us beyond the croquet field, and the staff were most enthused about their very special computerized multi head massage shower, of which only 7 exist in the world.  I think they said it was by Tag....possibly the watch manufacturers?  I will have to get back to you on that one when I do make it to the spa for a treatment.  It is on the list!

I am out of time today, so that's it for now.  Hoping for good weather tomorrow as I have the day off  and still much to do before I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment