Pages

Translate

Sunday, April 20, 2014

What's Up in Bermuda for Easter?

Happy Easter everyone!  It's a great time to be in Bermuda, with lots of activities available for the long weekend.  Unfortunately, I worked most of it, and was too tired to go out and play after work.  So will just tell of what I know about rather than what I actually saw.

One of Bermuda's Easter traditions is kite flying on Good Friday.  Silly me, I wasn't sure where the tradition originated, and someone looked at me like I was a not-so-bright light bulb and said "Uh, the cross."  Ahhh, OK, I get it.  The cross shape in the infrastructure of the kite ties into the religious theme.  Anyway, flying kites on the Beach is a Good Friday tradition in Bermuda. Many people build their own kites, the colors and patterns being an important part of the construction.  It's a great celebration on the island.
Photo from The Royal Gazette, taken by Akil Simmons 
Earlier this morning, many gathered on the beaches at sunrise for open air Easter Sunday services.  Many Churches hold this special service outdoor each year.

This is also prime time for Whale Watching Tours, as the Humpback Whales and their newborn calves spend a little time in Bermuda every spring.
b
Photo taken from Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute's events page
Also around the island, crews are filming a new series called "Ocean Vet."  One of the veterinarians at the Endsmeet Veterinary Hospital is a big shark guy...in fact they just released an shark back into the wild this weekend.  Dr. Neil Burnie is the star of the show and it should air soon...I believe 12 episodes have already been filmed.  Coincidentally, when my little Lexi cat work up from surgery a few years ago, I heard her wake up from a room away with a few growls, followed by his booming voice saying "That is an unusually aggressive animal."   My friend Lisa said..."You know he deals with sharks, right."  Apparently my little fluffball is pretty fearsome.

Anyway, that's what is up around the island this weekend.  Have a Happy Easter everyone!

My favorite candy and its figurehead...the cadbury easter creme egg and its bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment