Pages

Translate

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day Mom!!

When I saw this picture I knew immediately it was meant for my mom.  For one thing it looks just like the cat that she has to remove from the chair every time i Skype, Burpie Cat.  But also I am fairly confident that it embodies some of what it must feel like be an experienced and confident mom of three and then have me show up as part of the family.


I am pretty sure I went through some passive demure cute phase when I was little, but that was probably so long ago that none of us remember it.  But, my mom always accepts me for whoever I am...and believe me it changes over time.  She writes it on the calendar so she can keep track when people ask...she's in biochemistry...no, wait it shows here she switched to genetics...now microbiology...ok transfusion medicine...back to microbiology....ummm. she works in a hospital.  "Is she a nurse?" some relative asked.  "I don't know what she does," she honestly replied, "But she's very good at it."  The unwavering confidence of a proud mom goes a long way in life.  To be fair, I left home before cell phones were common, and the norm was to check in once a week.  Normally she would phone me on a Saturday at about 7am.  Sometimes I would randomly call her first so she wouldn't worry when I didn't answer the phone... I'm in Utah this morning mountain biking the slickrock trail that I saw in the trailer for the Everest movie, I'm in Arizona skydiving and they have this big vacuum thing called wind tunnel, I'm in Belize, yes mom skydiving but I took a day off to climb temples. Yellowstone, Jasper, Vegas...and I should be studying or resting but I can do that here, just checking in.  What do I want for my birthday?  Mountain bike parts one year, combat gloves for martial arts another, and carbon graphite skydiving helmet was the one that finally made her shriek just a little bit.  "But mom, it's a safety device," won her over.  I am sure lots of other mother's would have worried sick, gotten frustrated, or just returned me to the daughter store.  But not my mom.  She is secretly proud of all my weird quirks and quests for adventure, for my willingness to tackle change and challenge, and she should be.  Because she raised me to be just exactly who I am (which looks a lot like the picture above most days), and has offered unwavering support on my meandering trail through life so far.  "As long as you're happy.  Be careful!"  Thanks mom.  Love you!

P.S.  I got you something.  Watch your mailbox :)

No comments:

Post a Comment