Pages

Translate

Monday, May 5, 2014

The Panthers Ate My List...and I Know Why

So, just a couple of days ago on Saturday I talked about my coworker helping me get together a list.  On side A was the title "Leaving Bermuda" with a list and action plan to get organized.  I felt immediate relief having my tasks laid out in manageable form, and was ready to tackle them on Monday, my first day off since.  Unfortunately when I arrived home from work Sunday, I discovered that the Panthers did not approve of the leaving Bermuda list and did their best to destroy it.  Having never before damaged anything paper in my house, nor anything on the table, I am now certain that they possess high literacy skills and moving them from their tropical paradise is going to be tricky.  They selectively ripped it apart between the words "Leaving" and "Bermuda", ate a hole out of the center of the page where "repatriating to Canada" was written and on the reverse side about things to do when in Canada, they mangled "kitty vet appointment" to the point where I could almost not make it out when I tried to piece my poor little list back together.  The evidence of their cunning intelligence is irrefutable, and so I must also assume they read this blog while I am out.  As I commented to my brother earlier today who was happy to see me making preparations to head to Canada, I said "Nothing is certain til the last cat clears customs."  Clearly my work is cut out for me.

I attempted to transcribe the tattered remains, and made as much headway as is humanly possible in one morning in Bermuda.  I took my scooter in for an oil change and mentioned I would be selling it and could they check it over.  They agreed to test drive it and call if there were any recommendations.  A couple of hours later I got the call to pick it up, and collected my surprising $300 bill for oil change and new brake pads.  I am not really complaining because I love my bike and they were fast and always good, I just thought we agreed they would call if they found anything.  I went to the cell phone company to schedule a cancellation of my phone services.  They told me to go to one of their other offices in a couple of months.  I went to that office today so I could get it done and scheduled the cancellation, but still have to go back and leave a credit card for the last payment only.  I couldn't leave it today without disrupting my other payment method in place.  Later in the day I got a text message from the same company saying "Good news!  Your unlimited data plan will not expire at the end of May!  Instead it is being replaced with our new Premium data plan.  Your previous unlimited $45 plan will increase to the New Premium $65 plan on May 12."  Firstly, how is this good news.  Secondly, I am not on contract so why would plan expire?  Thirdly, my new fancy named plan takes effect in 7 days, and I have no idea what it includes but it doesn't say unlimited data.  Turns out all their customers got the same text today.  And in 2 visits to the company today they failed to mention this plan...so I have to go back a third time in 24 hours if I want to cancel this new premier substandard service.  Par for the course.  Logic was quick and easy for disconnecting Internet.  Cablevision not so much.  The account cancels upon physically carrying your cable boxes into the company and paying any balance.  Of course it is a holiday when I leave so my last few days on island will be without TV or Internet service.  
HSBC was another shining example of customer service.  I went and explained that I was leaving and asked about closing the accounts, or setting up and account in Canada where I am going to end up and transferring the funds there, and they simply said "No."  Then I asked if I could cancel everything a week or so after I got back as I want my credit/debit cards for relocation expenses.  They said "No."  How about if I transfer most of the funds and close the account but keep the credit card?  "No."  Can I purchase a prepaid credit card just for convenience so I am not travelling with a lot of cash.  You know the answer was "No."  Leaving Bermuda is about as easy as setting up in Bermuda I see.  However, I still felt like it was a great day because I was getting stuff done!  In the sunshine!  And it was warm!  

And that alone made me want to eat the list too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment