Pages

Translate

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Around the Bend on Memory Lane

I am still catching up on photographs from past expeditions.  While looking at my Heron shots from Flatt's Village, I came across some more shots taken out on the West End.  I really enjoyed looking at these pictures again because they were taken on a morning when I was visiting my former coworker and good friend Sue.  Sue and I said goodbye several weeks back as she left Bermuda, for a little while at least as this is her home and she can always come back, for Canada and the chance to sail down to Mexico.  It was her birthday on Saturday, and I found myself in Dockyard that day, and quite missed being able to call and meet her for a coffee on the boat with a treat from the Pastry Shop.


And so it was with a fond smile that I remembered our last coffee and treat on the boat, the chat about adventures to come, and a quick drive out to a new spot.  Sue knew of a quaint little bridge that I had never before laid eyes on, and off we went.  First we went for a little drive to look for longtails....but there were none about on this morning.  Sometimes when weather is coming in they fly out to sea.  All we found was this pretty view.



After a harrowing short drive we reached the little bridge...I say harrowing because I grew up in Saskatchewan and am not used to manuevering a car in and out of nooks and crannies via a 6-point turn 360.  It's a skill I admire, although sometimes I just close my eyes and hope for the best.


If it weren't for Sue, I don't think I would have ever stumbled across this spot.  In fact, I can't even quite remember how to get back to it.  But I recall that at one point I realized I was behind the Naval Cemetery by Dockyard, so you could always hike through there, go past the gazebo into the wooded area and follow the path out.  When you get to that road, it's off somewhere to your right.

What I am good at, to make up for my lack of skill with direction and orientation, is curiosity.  "Oooooh, look at it from this angle Sue!  Have you ever gone on it, is it safe?  Whoops, guess it will hold.  Oooh look at the fish!  What's on the other side?  I love the purple weeds down there.  I think I can scramble over to...yeah, it's good, wonder what's on the little island, hey this is cool, have you been out here before?  Sue?  Sue?"  Silence.  I realized I had lost my co-traveller and had better take my photos quickly.

Someone is ready for the next cookout on their quiet little spot
The first impression I had was that it reminded me of something from the 1800's, with the old rusted metalworks and the decaying building.


I absolutely loved how the brickwork had come apart.  I have seen people try to recreate this effect, was so nice to come across it naturally.  Here are a few shots of this gorgeous old spot.




oh yes, there are fish in there....this is their house

When I came scurrying back out of the bushes, Sue was on the bridge, leaning on the rail with a smile.  It's always nice when your friends know you for your quirks and put up with you anyway.  After years of working together, talking dreams and plans over microbes, sharing pictures and locations, a few sails, and a lot of coffee, this day was the last mini-expedition we would go on before she left Bermuda to begin her latest adventure.  I hope we will get a chance for a few more somewhere someday again.  Until then, I will add these pictures to some other fond memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment