Pages

Translate

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The Art of Blogging

I joined a blogger group this week to learn a little bit about what it is that I have been trying to do these last few months.  What was meant to be a guide to friends who would visit has turned into a hobby, a diary, a way to keep friends and family informed, a forum for my favorite photos, a reason to go exploring, and a lot of fun.  Sometimes when I read other blogs, they look so professional, so together, they have thousands of followers, and their writing gets picked up and distributed to thousands, or hundreds of thousands of people.  And sometimes I think some of my stories have the potential to do the same.  So I joined this group to see if I could get some of the secrets figured out.

It turns out that there is an art to blogging.  And in this art, I am a preschooler with a bunch of broken crayons and scribbles outside of the lines.  I am not as Internet savvy as I thought I was, and so this has been a humbling day for me.  To start with, you may notice the blog looks a little different today.  This is what happens when you push buttons in the template section and think "ah, if I don't like it I will change it back."  Not so....apparently some of these things are no longer available when you change, and so today we say goodbye to the old sea foam green background and hello to a lot of pink.  I also was instructed to think a lot more about my brand.  My brand?  Can being Jenny be considered a brand?  I don't know.  But I think I like my Lost But Loving it Title, and so we will use that as the watermark for photos for a while and see how it looks.  The next assignment involved working with your facebook page...which of course I didn't even have until today.  You can now find me on Facebook under Lostbutlovingit.  I just barely got a twitter account opened earlier this week, (also lostbutlovingit) and the idea of finding out what Instagram is this week will take a few glasses of wine to even think about.

I guess my takeaway is that I needed to do a better job of the page visually.  I may try a couple of different formats out in the coming months.  If you love or hate any of them, let me know, I am always up for input.

The other thing I was asked to think about was my readers.  I suspect I know a lot of you,  but there are a few people out there internationally who appear to be regular readers.  I would love to know who you are, and what you like about the blog so far.  So if you would like to make an introduction, please leave a comment below.  I would be happy to hear from you!

That's it for now, back to my crayon box while the Picasso's of blogging work their magic on the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment