Pages

Translate

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Saturday Sanctuary

The days are running down now, and soon my days of Bermuda beaches will be over.  The second last Saturday has come and gone now.  I realize that I am not very good at being on vacation, and it will take a few days to get used to.  I felt a little unease at how to best plan the best unplanned day.  This is what I came up with when a few people asked, "So what are you doing today?"  "Going to the beach," I said wanting to honor my promise of the day before.  "What else?"  "Don't know, maybe nothing, getting the beach is the only commitment I have."  And so beach day was declared, and a couple of people thought this sounded like a good idea.  First to chime in was Eileen.

Eileen with her gadget in hand
Then Siobhan.

She isn't cold, she just can't do sun after too many years in Ireland, she burns in minutes
And Annemarie wandered over as well.  It was meant to be a short gathering of about an hour, keeping in mind how long I could be in the sun I went straight for the sunscreen today.  Elbow beach was a bit quieter than the day before, and quiet is how I prefer it anyway.

Elbow Beach
It seemed as though the universe agreed with my one hour plan,  There was this one little raincloud sitting over in the horizon that was slowly making its way to us.  But we would get our one hour of bliss in first!
That cloud would prove to be our one hour sundial for the afternoon
In my new dedication to beach-going, I have to say I really enjoy Elbow Beach.  It is shallow for a long way out, and I rarely notice much undercurrent like I did at Long Bay the other day.  However, that also depends a lot on whether the tide is coming in or going out.  The colors are beautiful everywhere, but the length of Elbow beach and the shallowness enhance the pink sand and pale emerald waters even a little more than usual.  I went for the customary bob in the ocean and came out to relax.  It turns out Elbow Beach was a good spot for pretending to be a tourist on vacation -- it's a Saturday Sanctuary for the locals.  Do check it out when you visit this isle.  I think Elbow Beach will always be one of my favorite places.

Very inviting waters

Time's Up!
After the beach we decided to all meet up in town and watch part of the World Cup semi-final.  I wasn't very into the match, so I ended up going home and going for a nice long walk-jog combo, which gave me the energy boost I needed to make it to one other event of the day.  Irish night at the Hog Penny.  My friend Lisa who is in town from Boston teaches violin for a living,  Will Black asked her to play a set with him.  I had been pretty tired, but the first song I heard was Gordon Lightfoot "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," a true Canadian classic that perks me up every time.  By the time Lisa got onstage and I was clapping along in between chats with our friend Jen-- I admit I have forgotten the names of the songs all except for one -- "Devil Went Down to Georgia."  I can't help but love that!  And so it was a very good day off indeed.  I can get a lot of nothing much at all done now that I am not working,  I think I can get used to this!

Will and Lisa -- good combo!

No comments:

Post a Comment