Pages

Translate

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Funny As Folk

People are funny.  We set patterns and parameters and kind of stick to them.  In Bermuda, there are a few of these that apply to our beautiful waters as well.  For example, Bermudians say they don't go in the water until Bermuda Day, the long weekend at the end of May.  "Only tourists and the Canadian expats go before that," I have heard them joke before.  To be fair, after a few years of the island, I wasn't going in before the water temperatures warmed up in June this year either.

Another quirk that I noticed is that behind the airport there is a long stretch wide open grass running along an ocean channel.  You will often see people pulled over on this stretch of grass, picnicking, relaxing, napping....in fact I once say a shirtless man in the back of a red convertible playing his heart out on a saxophone to an audience of zero there.  I have sailed through the little channel from St. George's to Dockyard on the Sea Sun.  But, I have never seen anyone in the waters in this channel.


I have often wondered if the wreckage of a 1952 Havana Air crash lies in this channel, or perhaps just beyond it in the open waters on either side.  Back then, flights would stop in Bermuda to refuel.  In this case, the flight was from Madrid, Spain to Havana, Cuba.  After stopping for fuel in Bermuda, the plane exploded shortly after take off.  37 people were killed, 4 people survived.


Wherever it is, it joins the 150+ shipwrecks in the area as casualties of the Bermuda Triangle I suppose.  Today, however, this little spot of Bermuda is a calm an serene spot, where many lucky homeowners overlook the water.



The waters were cool and inviting, so I figured....why not.  I was wearing flip flops anyway, so i rolled up my pantlegs and waded in.  Suits me just fine that no one else uses this stretch of ocean.  It gave me a great place to cool off and take some quiet photos....the best places are often those that are overlooked by others



No comments:

Post a Comment