Pages

Translate

Monday, August 11, 2014

The Solo

OK, too many days without a post -- my apologies for that, but the good news is, the Bermuda crew plus two (maybe two and a half) survived a trip to Las Vegas.  The extra half person is another story for another time, which I will get to some day down the road.  But for today we will pick up where we left off -- on the topic of the Longtailed Tropic Bird.

I mentioned how they fly with speed, sharp angles, and grace, often in pairs or small group, interacting as they go along.  But, every band gives the dummer and guitarist a chance for a solo to show off their unique skill, and so the Longtail Solo is the theme of the day.  This series of photos are mostly solo where I was just aiming for one bird, to try to capture some of the different angles and views of their flight patterns, which as you know I find fascinating.



Head on

Gaiining altitude

Initiating a turn I think

Full Glide

Hitting the brakes before flying in to check on the nest in the rocks

I was so excited by this fly-by....until I realized my longtail had no tail.  Seriously, just my luck!

Flight profile

I wondered if this is how the other guy lost his tail!  Actually he is just chattering midflight, I don't think they bite each other :)

Another fly by by the Stubby Tailed Tropicbird...sigh

Don't they look intense?

And a shot of the distinctive and beautiful black banding....nature's racing stripes!


I promise to write about something other than longtails tomorrow....but I must warn you, there are more pictures of them, and the best ones are yet to come!  But for now,  I need a post Vegas pre-midnight bedtime and only have 6 minutes to do so.  So signing out for tonight....



No comments:

Post a Comment