Pages

Translate

Thursday, October 9, 2014

That Sunny Saskatchewan Disposition


I always say people from Saskatchewan are a lot like me -- nice, a little crazy, but nice.   Open prairies and open book people.  You know your neighbours, help out when needed, drop in unannounced for coffee, and let yourself in the open door.  I remember one year I came home for Christmas holidays.  I slept late while everyone else had left to go somewhere else, and wandered into the kitchen in my pajamas and glasses, and was greeted by a guy I'd never seen before sitting at the table drinking a cup of coffee he'd made himself.  "Hi.  Who are you?" he said to me.  "I used to live here," I said, "who might you be?" as I headed to the coffee pot myself. "I'm the John Deere dealer," he said as we eyed each other up skeptically behind coffee cups, wondering which of us was the true impostor.  Stuff like that just happens around here.
 
Maybe the people take their cue from the skies...those are nice and open too.  I captured this sunset while we were combining the lentils, and couldn't believe how big the sun was on the horizon.  I hadn't seen a sunset like that in years.
 


Ralph Waldo Emerson said "Nature always wears the colors of the spirit."  Philosophically then, this is the spirit of Saskatchewan.  Of course, Regina residents will swear Saskatchewan's spirit color is green (the color of our CFL football team), but nature does not lie, and this sunset certainly made me feel soulful.



A lone truck rides out of, rather than into, the sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment