Pages

Translate

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Snowscapes

When winter comes, the prairies start to look a bit like the surface of the moon.  So far the snow has been light in the southern part of the province, which is good for driving, bad for spring moisture.  But even the shortest of drifts get windswept into miniature dunes.
 
 
And on a bad day, when the wind is howling, little creatures cross the dunes in search of windbreak.  such was the case of these prairie chickens, who were rather camera shy and this one shot through the blowing snow and windowpane was all I got...they scattered when I opened the door willing to freeze to get a better photo.  Probably better for both of us, as I stayed warm, and they flew to some trees where it was probably warmer as well.
 
 
But once more I digress.  We left off in Saskatoon, more specifically, the long drive home.  This time around it was fortunately uneventful.  No random audio recordings were sent to the middle east, but a few random photographs were taken along the way home.  First up was just a pretty winter scene, just south of Saskatoon, which has more snow than southern Saskatchewan at the present.
 

Next up was just the view down another lonely gravel road.  Sometimes we prairie people forget how decadent all this open air and open spaces can be to urban dwellers.


As the sun started to go down and the moon started to rise, I pulled off the road just north of Kyle, near an abandoned yard I had spied with my little eye on the way to Saskatoon but was too short of time to stop at.  It was a picturesque little spot.

Roadside in central Saskatchewan as the moon rises

Despite the unnerving single set of footprints that led off the roadside and into the abandoned yard with the cool trees and empty shack, I followed the same path, keeping an eye out for anyone who might be hunkered down in the area for some unknown reason...there were no other vehicles in sight.  I never did see the owner of the other footprints, or figure out where they had headed to, since there was no way to go but into the building or into the empty field (let's just say I didn't stick my head in the building).

From inside the abandoned yard

pretty old grees


A web of old trees
 
Aaaand, the shot I came in for

No comments:

Post a Comment