Pages

Translate

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sundown at Sedona

One of the best places to photograph Sedona is from the airport.  You can get a nice view of the various buttes and formations from there, as well as see the little city lit up at night if you want.  I finally found a reason to try out the panoramic button on my new camera.
 
 
I am thinking the Sedona airport is a bit of an interesting place to take off and land from.  It's elevation is about 4800 ft, and at the end of the runway there is a bit of an abyss to the town below...only about 1200ft really, but some of the surrounding rocks are over 5000 ft.  But this little plane had no problem and happily cruised up and over the valley in no time.
 



Back at ground level, I decided to roam around town a little bit.  Sedona is a bit more expensive than other places in Arizona.  It's an $8 Smoothy kind of place.  A rock necklace set in silver was marked $245.  And so I decided that I didn't really need any souvenirs...but I did splurge on the smoothy.  A lot of the architecture is designed to fit in with the red rock landscape.


The new age movement is really popular in Sedona, a place which touts the red rocks as a healing place in nature.  There are supposed to be several energy vortexes in the area.  I did walk to one but I didn't feel anything vortexy.  It doesn't really matter though, it's a pretty enough place it doesn't need another draw.  I did notice an abundance of psychics dotting the streets.  It is a booming business in town.


I also see that there was another wandering me who got to town first.


As the sun starts to go down, the rocks take on a bit of a different hue.  I know now what they mean when they say the ancient pyramids of Egypt gleaned like gold in the sun, because as the sun set on what are some very red rocks at high noon, they seemed to take on more of a gilded hue.

 
So to end the day in Sedona, I went back to Bell Rock and looked back at the red rock cliffs as the shadows stretched out in length and the sun faded away.
 

The sun disappears on Sedona, lighting it as it has for millennia.  Glad I saw it once, even just for the millisecond in time it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment