Pages

Translate

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Swans

So while I was on that walk in the woods, I saw a couple of trumpeter swans.  These are the largest migratory birds in Alaska.  They were kind of the special attraction of the day, so I felt lucky to have a quiet view of them swimming in the creek.
 


It didn't take long for them to turn and start seeing what I was up to.  I didn't want to disturb them so I headed on back down the trail, feeling lucky I got a couple of photos.  Until I was leaving and ran ino a professional photographer with a telescope for a lens that made these look pretty embarrassing.  Perhaps I should stick to scenery.

 
And so here is one last shot from the nature center, a calm crisp spring day in Alaska.  
 
 
I am remiss to admit I am now out of photos.  I have not been out exploring much lately, there is much work to do at the real job.  I did pack my camera with the intent to go back and see if it was starting to green up at the nature center today, but a strong cold wind changed my mind really quickly and suddenly my warm desk at work didn't seem like such a bad idea after all.
 
It does feel weird to not be out taking pictures every weekend, but I have to remember how much there is to do when you are new to a place.  I still do not have a flawless routine of basic household management, nor do I have a stock of anything...it's a trip to the store for every item in the recipe, every knick knack.  Buy a TV...the next day go buy a screwdriver to assemble the stand.  Book the security system install, find out they can't do anything without a power bar because the outlet near the modem is already full.  Business to wrap up both here and there, and in some cases, 2 there's ago.  And just when you think you have everything set up, your new bank account thinks your rent payment is valid grounds for fraud and you find yourself locked out of your accounts and all your other payments frozen.  And the insurance company sends you a letter threatening to cancel your insurance if you don't submit an international background within 4 days....which you can't actually do in 4 days...that little gecko looked so friendly on tv.  Anyway, life is kind of a vortex of chaos, and if memory serves, it takes about 6 months before your routine is totally settled into that of a normal person.  The explorations may be a little infrequent for a while...but they will come.  My apologies in advance for a delay in seeing lovely Alaska by photo.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment