Pages

Translate

Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Bear Necessities

I still have a lot to sort out before I can really say that I am all set up, that I know my new city, that I am "Alaskan."  There is a lot to do, both at home and at work, and I have a long way to go.  I guess the most important thing to do is to sort out the bare necessities of life.  Who better to ask than the masters of life in Alaska...the bears!  So by watching them, I hope to figure out the bear necessities of my new life in Alaska...but maybe they are the bear necessities of life in general.
 
Bear necessity number one.  Don't let life get you down.  Sometimes you can feel a little glum, and a little tired when trying to squeeze a whole year into a few short months of long summer days.  Take a little mid-day bear nap.  The world is less overwhelming when you have you bear-beauty rest.
 


Number Two on the List.  Life in this remote and rugged old gold town can feel a little rough some days.  Don't forget to take some time out and spoil yourself, that's also a bear necessity.  This picture reminded me that I too need to take some time out and book a pedicure and a massage.  I wonder if I can bring this little guy along too.


Bear Necessity number three.  You can't take it all too seriously.  Sure, you have to put your effort into doing your best every day, and there are plenty of things to get stressed out about.  But don't be afraid to let that little grin out even when you are literally between a rock and a hard place. 


Bear Necessity number four.  "Smile, and the world smiles with you."  And that's all me and Forest Bear really have to say about that.


Bear Necessity number five.  Don't be afraid to stop and smell the roses.  Even if they're just imaginary roses.


Exercise is Bear Necessity number six.  Explore alternative sports, like rock climbing...or skydiving...I think bears would like that.


Fake it until you make it.  Bear necessity number seven...exude confidence.  Not only does it make you look very attractive to the other bears...er humans...but we all need someone to believe in us...even if it's only ourselves at first.


Bear necessity number eight.  When you want something, leave no stone unturned.  You never know what you will find!

 
And don't bury your head in the sand.  Even ostriches look silly doing that.


Bear Necessity number nine.  Everything is better with a friend...burdens are less heavy, joy is even lighter.  Take time to share with that special somebeary.


These two are like two peas in a pod.  Two very very large furry brown peas with claws and teeth.


Bear Necessity number ten.  Take a little time out now and then to watch nature in all its splendor.  Look at this bear watching the cute elk and humans behind the fence.  I am sure it did a little good for his soul to watch those dangerous bipedal beasts in the background, a chance to observe a fearsome species while kept safe from them by a fence.  He probably knows they are not safe to come across in the wild.


No comments:

Post a Comment