Pages

Translate

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Happy Feet

Further to my photography goals at Forest Fair, a new endeavor took shape.  I needed to a) stay dry and therefore remain in a static location, and b) not be overtly creepy by taking a bunch of head shots without permission.  While it's allowed, it didn't feel right.  Besides, these people had some pretty interesting things going on below eye level...Forest Fair footwear is an art of its own.

This flowing white full length skirt is the perfect example.  I loved the way the skirt flowed and gave the shoe surprise that went with this classic skirt.  What footwear should a Forest Maid wear?  Rubber boots with blue stars and script of course.


I started looking around and realized that Alaskans collect a special type of footwear.  In Bermuda, I had rows and rows of open toe, strappy, glitzy heels and sandals.  I may have to change my footwear accessories from rhinestone to rubber if Forest Fair is a good example of fashion days to come.  This lady is rocking out the rock star skinny jeans with green rubber boots with a puppy print.  I have to say it has a natural flair to it.


I didn't realize the wide array of possibilities for finding just the right rubber boot before this day.  I kept my eyes out for cat boots, but never did see a pair.


It wasn't all flamboyant on the feet...sometimes if the skirt was crazy enough, the boots would be a little more neutral.


However, the hardcore hippies were having no part of fancy footwear.  They let their feet run naked through the woods, which contributed to the overall effect of crazy wild forest guy.


This photo catches rubber boots, flip flops, and cowboy boots in conversation together.  A few stars and stripes for the 4th of July weekend, and some red, white, and...pink?  Why not...anything goes at Forest Fair.


I kind of get the skirts and rubber boots....staying fashionable but keeping it practical.  Not quite sure the open back leather half man shoes and skirts were a success.


Every once in a while the outfit was too much, even for Forest Fair.  This Hawaii hippie print with triple layered fringed suede boots had me too confused to come up with  a funny commentary.  There was briefly something about hula dancing woolly mammoths...but i lost the thought in the chaos of the outfit passing by.

photo by Sharon Vernon

Here's the best dressed couple of Forest Fair Footwear.  Granted she saves him a bit with her awesome and unique boots, but the his and her look of red socks and skirts, the stance, and intertwined fingers makes this a Forest Fest Fave!


Now THESE boots were made for walking.  Walking into stuff if the bandages  on the thigh are correct.  These boots brought the sexy back to Forest Fair.  I doubt they kept the feet dry without sufficient rain deflecting clothing above the calf, so while sloshing around through puddles with water squishing between your toes inside your sexy boot gets you on the best dressed (or best partially dressed) list, it isn't on the practical list.  Good look though.


Now this set really caught my eye.  This woman woke up and said "I am going to spend the day in the woods...in my red leather boots."  That says something.  Every girl should have a pair of red shoes...oh the stories that revolve around my red Dior heels could have a blog of their own (they have made cameo's in the odd Bermuda leaving video, some desperate women crawled under a table and tried to pry off my foot once, they may or may not have been the root of at least one international legendary shopping incident,  they may have been kidnapped by a crazy customs lady for a weekend before delivery, and I got several tourist comments about how amazing it was that my scooter matched my shoes).  The point is, red shoes are an awesome accessory.  Red boots don't come up that often.  Footloose is the only pop culture reference off the top of my head.  So these boots get on the Forest Fair path of footwear fame.


In the movie Back to the Future, they travel from 1985 to 2015.  This could be what happened in the image below.  Madonna may or may not have hopped in the Delorian with Michael J Fox midway through her Like a Virgin tour and landed in Girdwood Alaska, July 5, 2015.  There really is no other explanation.

photo by Sharon Vernon
That's the end of the freakiest feet of forest fair.  Hippies and kids, wellies and heels, rain and sun, Forest Fair is worth a look.  Next year I will make plans to stay for more than one afternoon.  Add this into your summer tour of Alaska!


No comments:

Post a Comment