Pages

Translate

Sunday, July 5, 2015

No Papparazzi!

Well, the blog has fallen terribly behind.  And so on this lovely July Sunday listening the the latest Seether album while I wait for some more furniture delivery here in Alaska, I will pick up where I left off...aboard the Orca Voyageur, near Seward Alaska...back in May.  We were on the homeward stretch, and a keen eye picked out the sunbathing sea lions.  I realized the abundance of gulls on a rock predicted the presence of lazy napping lions.


I was sure these ones were dead, or gored, due to the reddish brown patches that looked like blood...but that's just what a wet sea lion looks like I guess.


Even if we hadn't seen all of these animals, the scenery would have been worth the cruise!


We came upon one sea lion who had a whole rock to himself.  But it turns out he was a bit camera shy.  Even though we were several hundred feet away, he stood up as soon as our boat hit that range.


He gave us a long sideways look of disdain...


....turned his little nose up at us...


...then picked up his flippers and started running...


I was kind of impressed...pretty sure he went up those rocks faster than I could.


He gave us one more little look....


...positioned himself...


...and then took the high dive!  No sliding into the water gently from the bottom for this little guy.  A sea lion after my own heart...


Bye little guy!  And then he swam around the corner and joined his friends on another rock.  And that was the end of my sea lion viewing for the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment