Pages

Translate

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Woo Is Me

Everybody likes to be wooed.  You know, to be spoiled, pampered, have nice things done for them.  Usually we wait for someone else to do it.  I have decided to take matters into my own hands.

This is not a matter of complaint, but a matter of fact.  I worked very hard in 2015 --  I took a lot of hours from home, fitness, and fun and invested them in work.  It was worth it, it needed to be done, but I am making a conscious effort to sway the scales back into balance.  I realize how nice it is to give myself a little treat.

So after my work self has a long week, I feel like I am wooing myself. A nice cooked meal at home.  A trip to the theatre to see Star Wars.  Tidying up a little so my work self comes home tomorrow to a freshly vacuumed home.   Some candles and aromatherapy.  A nice hot bath.  Some peace and quiet with the new treadmill.  I daresay a few more days like this and I might fall so darn in love with myself that I stop spending so many hours in the office!  Not a bad plan perhaps.

My freshly spoiled self decided to catch up on the computer.  Go through the emails, have a few chats, and pick up on the pictures and blog...still stuck way back in August.  In a way it's not so bad to find a few summer photos on a winter's day.


The summer blog left off aboard the Klondie Express.  On the 26 Glacier Cruise.  Being out on a boat affords you some new views...Alaska is big, and one would need many days and many modes of transport to see every mountain, every glacier.  After taking 5 years of exploring the nooks and crannies of the 21 square miles of Bermuda, seeing Alaska's 663,300 square miles seems impossible.  I may need several lifetimes here.


But one can't compare Bermuda to Alaska.  Pink sand beaches and summer snowcaps just aren't in the same class.  As I always say, there are different types of beautiful.  So long as you wake up and see one each day, you are doing something right.


But on this summer day I wasn't thinking about beaches at all.  I was thinking about glaciers.  How many were there...are they really going to all melt?  What would they have looked like 10 years ago?  20?  100?


This is a true tidewater glacier, reaching into the ocean...but just barely.  The dirty path shows it will not reach the water much longer.  It is receding.


There are people that say this is all part of a cycle.  Those who say it's the fault of global warming.  I would like to believe it's a cycle, and it will revert back to normal in time.  But I am afraid everything they started to tell us 30 years ago is starting to come true.  I am coming up on my second February in Alaska... and I have only seen a handful of snowy days.  I fear these snowcaps will be smaller still the next time I see them.  Maybe it has snowed a lot more deeper in the mountains.  I hope so.  I would hate to know this could all change in my lifetime.


No comments:

Post a Comment