Pages

Translate

Saturday, February 27, 2016

I 'otter' get a new lens

One lens does not fit all.  It's sad but true.  And being in Alaska makes me realize I need at least one, if not two more.  But that doesn't change my collection of blurry otter pictures.  But blurry otter pictures are better than no otter pictures.  At least I can show that otters appear to be even cuter and cuddlier than I imagined, and more often than not, come as a bundle!


I do believe this is how otters give "noogies."


As peaceful as this looks, just spending your days floating around in the frigid water looking cute, otters have a lot to think about.  They need to keep alert for hungry orcas, find food in the frigid waters, and fluff, comb and groom their fur relentlessly keep it waterproof and stay warm and dry.


But at the same time, they get to enjoy what we call the simpler things in life.  Floating on calm clear waters, cuddled up with a loved one, enjoying the feeling of sun on your flippers.


Waiting for a bit of kelp or other delectables to float into range, and watching the tour boats of strange and exotic human animals zoom by in large herds, never stopping long enough to enjoy the scenery like the otters do.


And like humans, I suspect there are more than a few otters out there who are "old souls."  This little guy looks to be contemplating profound concepts of otter society and environmental issues.  I call him The Philosopher.  All that AND he is still adorably cute and cuddly looking.



As the boat engines roared up and we began to cruise away, I noticed this little group, watching up with mild interest.  For some reason I thought of a modern Hollywood Rat Pack.  That's George Clooney, the handsome grey guy in the center.  Matt Damon is over to his right, Ben Affleck on the left, and Mark Wahlberg in the background.  Yup, that's how my brain works.  Who needs entertainment when you have this dialogue in your head all day.  I am pretty sure otter Matt Damon is waving a flipper as we depart.  I think I shall have to go back to visit these little guys again this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment