Pages

Translate

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Alyeska Flora

The grounds of the hotel Alyeska are gorgeous.  They dance with the color and movement of the mountain wildflowers...and maybe a few transplants that were too pretty to resist planting.


The lilies may be transplants to Alaska, like so many of us, but the thrive in the summer days.


Flowers in Alaska tend to be tiny and intricate..bursts of color made of dozens or hundreds of little flowers, rather than one big flower.


I have no idea what these are, but they look like whimsical and curious enough to be from a land of pixies and fairies and such.


Alaska favors flowers that bloom in purples, and indigo's and blues.  The twisting petals remind me of little dancers.  Alaska flowers are beautiful.


These little buds remind me of snails, or delicate violet seashells, they have a special beauty that is both delicate and hardy.


I am not sure if this is the same plant with white flowers rather than blue, but it was just as pretty.


The little snail-like buds eventually unfurl into these flowers.  I am exceptionally drawn to them, but I  am beginning to think this is Alaskan monkshood.  Also known as wolf's bane, mouse bane, women's bane, aconite, devil's helmet, and the Queen of All Poisons (yes, seriously).  It's an acute poison, fatal in 2-6 hours if ingested.  The poison is also readily absorbed from the skin, so picking it is a really bad idea.


It's beautiful though, whatever it is.  I like how the flowers on the bottom left look like butterflies.


There are splashes of other colours too -- like this yellow.  And yes, I spelled colour with a u on purpose, I am exerting my Canadianess here.  I need a few outlets for my repressed superfluous vowels whilst living in the USA.


This splash of soft pastel pink has the little flowers delicately splayed into a virtual cotton candy for bees.  I loved how soft it looked.


Love how the petals twist and spiral, making each flower ever so subtly unique.


Sometimes it's nice to stop and smell the flowers for a day or two.  Happy I had a chance to, and looking forward to some more long summer days very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment