Pages

Translate

Monday, May 9, 2016

Reflections Lake

Sometimes Alaskans just call em as they see em.  So when I saw a road sign pointing to Reflections Lake, I was pretty sure it was going to be exactly that.  I was not disappointed.


This little trail proved to be a gem.  It starts right off the main highway.  A flat trail makes for an easy walk for anyone who wishes to see a little of Alaska's quiet beauty.  The trail is well worn and loops around the lake.


I loved the striping on the tree.  I always thought this was due to animals stripping the bark, but the surface was even.  So why ever it is the way it is, it's quite pretty.


True to its name, Reflections Lake gives a perfect image of the skies and treeline that lines it shore.


The clouds are close enough to touch on the rippled surface.


Alaska never ceases to stun in the summer.


Earlier this year I was told I had already missed the mating pair of Trumpeter Swans that stops at the Nature Center each year.  I wondered if they had simply moved a dozen miles away, or if this was a separate pair.  It was nice to see them all the same.


I never used to think swans when I thought Alaska.  But they are somewhat iconic around here.


I don't think the swans appreciate the walkers.  They were initially tucked near the shoreline, but as a group approached from the other side of the lake, they moved more out to the middle of the lake.


 It became evident they knew I was there.  Both from this glance...


And the fact that they"mooned" me.



No comments:

Post a Comment